Thursday 29 July 2021

Buddy Guy - Still Got the Blues at 85 Years Old!

Born on 30th July 1936 down in Lettsworth, Louisiana, the one and only Buddy Guy is celebrating his 85th Birthday today.
"Guitar Legends do not come any better than Buddy Guy. He is feted by his peers and loved by his fans for his ability to make the guitar both talk and cry the blues. Such is Buddy's mastery of the guitar that there is virtually no guitarist that he cannot imitate." - Bill Wyman, former Bassist of The Rolling Stones.
Buddy Guy may have had to wait many years before he achieved some mainstream success but back in the 60's he was touted as one of the finest Bluesmen by the likes of Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix (who stole a few of Buddy's moves), Jimmy Page and has influenced the likes of Gary Clark Jr. and John Mayer along the way.
By the age of 21 (1957) he had moved to Chicago and in 1958 managed to get a record deal with the Cobra subsidiary, Artistic. He released two singles ('Sit and Cry (The Blues)' in 1958' and 'You Sure Can't Do' in 1959), the second featuring Ike Turner on guitar. He was signed by Chess Records in 1959 and became the House Guitarist at the label. He recorded as a session guitarist alongside a number of the greats like Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, and Sonny Boy Williamson. He did release a dozen or so singles on Chess between 1960 - 1969, but only one album for Chess Records, 'I Left My Blues in San Francisco', which was released in 1967.
It was probably around 1979 or 1980 that I first started trawling shops for old Blues records. I was only 16 going on 17 and while I had heard some Blues before I had never really taken much of an interest in the artists who performed it until The Blues Band and Nine Below Zero began playing at The Marquee Club in Wardour Street. I was keen to discover many of the original artists and the name Buddy Guy kept coming up so I checked him out by finding some albums he had done with Junior Wells and some of the recordings he had appeared on while on Chess Records. They were not exactly easy things to find from what I recall. Fast forwards to 1991 and I was listening to Richard Skinner one Saturday Afternoon and he played 'Damn' Right I Got The Blues' and said that it was from a new album by Buddy Guy. I can remember rushing out to see if I could find a copy and being absolutely blown away by it. He was touring the album and had a date in Glasgow and I managed to get a ticket. Support act for the night was a fella called John Campbell (who was brilliant and I was transfixed by the sheer power and emotion of his set). B.B. King and Dion DiMucci were probably the oldest artists I had ever seen at this point in my life and here was another one who seemed to have lived the kind of life he was singing about. There was no pomp, no believing he was above everyone else just because he was on stage but just a depth of gratefulness that he had the opportunity to share some songs he and others had written among a company of friends who would understand.
Ever since that concert and album I haven't missed a new record of his and he rarely has disappointed. It's great that he is still playing and making music and he's getting the recognition he deserves (half a dozen Grammy Awards is nothing to turn your nose up at, is it!). Hope he has a great 85th Birthday and long may the Blues continue. Here's a wee show from 1992 at the Montreaux Jazz Festival of Buddy Guy in action, enjoy.
Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rewind 1978: Give 'Em Enough Rope - The Clash Released

It's been awhile since I revisited the second album by The Clash , 'Give 'Em Enough Rope' , that was released on this ...