Wednesday 2 June 2021

Darkness On The Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen (1978)

Released on this day (2nd June) in 1978 and reached #5 on the US Chart and #16 on the UK Chart. It was Produced by Bruce Springsteen, Jon Landau and Steven Van Zandt
Frank Stefanko did the photography for the album and the shoot had taken place at his house in New Jersey. Springsteen said, "When I saw the picture I said, 'That's the guy in the songs.' I wanted the part of me that's still that guy to be on the cover. Frank stripped away all your celebrity and left you with your essence. That's what that record was about."
Below are some Live versions of the songs that are on the album from across the years since the album was released, as I believe that they actually sound much better than the studio version. So let's begin with Side 1.
1. Badlands (Live in 1978 from Phoenix)
2. Adam Raised A Cain (Live in 2009 from Stockholm)
3. Something In The Night (Rare 1976 Live Version that's very different to the Album Recording. I must admit that I like this version and wish he had retained it. Live at The Palladium, New York. November 2, 1976.)
4. Candy's Room (Live in Houston 1978)
5. Racing In The Street (Live at Meadowlands Arena, E. Rutherford, NJ - July 1981. Released on the Live 1975-85 Boxset)
And now Side 2
1. The Promised Land (Live in Barcelona 2002 on The Rising Tour)
2. Factory (Live in Philadelphia 25th September 1999)
3. Streets of Fire (Live from Winterland 15th December 1978)
4. Prove It All Night (With the 1978 Intro. Live in Sydney 22nd March 2013)
5. Darkness On The Edge of Town (Live at Madison Square Gardens, NYC on the Reunion Tour)
"My own thoughts about the album at the time (I was 15 years old when it came out!) was that here was a bloke who knew a thing or two about life and was able to communicate something of the desolation of being stuck somewhere you didn't want to be. I always get a bit annoyed by people who assume that because Bruce is American and he's often writing from an American perspective that he has nothing in common with those outside of the USA. But the fact is alienation, struggle, relationship issues, despair and hope etc are actually very universal themes so it's quite easy I think to find yourself in his songs even if you were growing up in London in 1978." - I wrote those words for my previous blog, Soundtrack4Life, quite a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rewind 1978: Give 'Em Enough Rope - The Clash Released

It's been awhile since I revisited the second album by The Clash , 'Give 'Em Enough Rope' , that was released on this ...