Thursday 3 June 2021

Happy Birthday Suzi Quatro

Detroit, Michigan...When I hear that my brain reacts like Alexa and begins listing some of the great musical talent that has come forth from there to enhance my musical enjoyment...Aretha Franklin, MC5, Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper, Bob Seger, Del Shannon, Edwin Starr, The Four Tops, John Lee Hooker, The Knack, The Stooges, Wilson Pickett and The White Stripes to name but a few. But one name I often forget, mainly because she seems to have spent so much time in the UK, is Susan Kay Quatro (known to you and me as Suzi Quatro. Today is her 71st Birthday and she's still rockin' having released her 18th album, 'The Devil In Me' back at the end of March this year. Since 1964 with The Pleasure Seekers (with her sister Patti Quatro and later her other sisters Arlene and Nancy)through the Glam Rock years of the seventies, periods of Acting and being a Radio Host, and then back on stage again tearing it up with Andy Scott (Sweet) and Don Powell (Slade)in 2017, she's back doing what she was born to do.
"Before I did what I did, we didn't have a place in rock 'n' roll. Not really. You had your Grace Slick and all that, but that's not what I did. I was the first to be taken seriously as a female rock 'n' roll musician and singer. That hadn't been done before. I played the boys at their own game. For everybody that came afterward, it was a little bit easier, which is good. I'm proud of that. If I have a legacy, that's what it is. It's nothing I take lightly. It was gonna happen sooner or later. In 2014, I will have done my job 50 years. It was gonna be done by somebody, and I think it fell to me to do because I don't look at gender. I never have. It doesn't occur to me if a 6-foot-tall guy has pissed me off not to square up to him. That's just the way I am. If I wanted to play a bass solo, it never occurred to me that I couldn't. When I saw Elvis for the first time when I was 5, I decided I wanted to be him, and it didn't occur to me that he was a guy. That's why it had to fall to somebody like me." - Suzi Quatro interview in 2013 for the Detroit Metro Times
Here's a few songs from the latest album beginning with the title track The Devil In Me
I Sold My Soul Today
Do Ya Dance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rewind 1978: Give 'Em Enough Rope - The Clash Released

It's been awhile since I revisited the second album by The Clash , 'Give 'Em Enough Rope' , that was released on this ...